2022 ESSAY CONTEST – INDIANA Two Categories: Students in Grades 6-8 and Students in grades 9-12 Any student in a Lutheran school or Lutheran congregation, e.g., confirmation class or youth group, when validated by a pastor or teacher, is eligible. Students may also enter through a Lutheran home school, when validated by their Lutheran pastor.
CONTEST GUIDELINES Students will write a life-affirming essay based on the theme: Blessed For Life with the Bible verse: “… the Lord protects him and keeps him alive; he is called blessed in the land; you do not give him up to the will of his enemies.” Psalm 41:2. (Consider being blessed with the gift of life, blessed by God for one’s entire life or blessed to be a blessing to others.)
1. Not incorporating the theme and verse in the essay will disqualify the entry.
2. Examples of topics the essay could deal with are, but are not limited to abortion, the handicapped, adoption or foster care, infanticide, cloning, stem cell research, physician assisted suicide or euthanasia etc.
3. Essays should include student’s name, grade (school or church), and email address. All entries submitted by a teacher or pastor, should include their name and email address. This information should be submitted on the rubric page used in grading the essay.
4. All sources for references, statistics and quotes should be incorporated within the essay and then included in a bibliography at the end. Grades 6 – 8 should submit essays up to 400 words. Grades 9 – 12 should submit essays up to 750 words. Entries should be submitted digitally using Microsoft Word or Google Docs. Also include a picture (school picture or selfie) to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 1, 2.
5. There will be a $100 first place award and $50 second place award for each of the two categories. The two first place category winners will advance to the national contest. Email email@example.com with questions.
6. Grand prize for the national winning entry at each level: $250 plus free conference registration to the 2022 Lutherans For Life National Conference and one night stay at the conference hotel.
7. All entries become the property of Lutherans For Life.
8. For questions or resources on the sanctity of life, see this website lutheransforlife.org.