The Arthur L. Amt “Lutheran School Teacher of the Year” designation is awarded to the teacher in the Indiana District who exemplifies the characteristics of outstanding teaching. The person so chosen represents the best in all teachers. He/she models the role of the Christian teacher by growing in the Word and witnessing of his/her faith life to those around him/her. Characteristics are listed as follows:
- Possess a thorough knowledge of the subject matter, which he/she is able to help pupils learn
- Relates the Word of God to all activities in the life of a school day
- Remains current in knowledge of subject matter and methodology
- Plans well so that academic excellence may be achieved
- Uses a wide variety of materials to help children learn
- Applies discipline that helps each child to grow in discipleship, which allows each pupil to have dignity, and provides an orderly climate for learning. Implements guidelines that illustrate a clear understanding of Law and Gospel.
- Knows and values each child and treats each as a special gift from God
- Works effectively with parents
- Knows and applies the best instructional skills so that each child will learn in the way God gifted him/her
Deadline to nominate is May 1, 2019.