PURPOSE: What we want our students to know and understand about the unit or topic
KEEP IN MIND:
- Consider having a sub-heading added to this section (STUDENTS WILL KNOW….) to help mappers start their content phrases.
- Writing content in paragraph or narrative form might be difficult for you and others to quickly read and digest. Consider formatting content:
- in short, noun-driven phrases
- with bullet points
- Content should reflect:
- facts, concepts, aligned standards, or principles taught within the unit
- what students can explain to others
- what students need to know and understand in order to carry out the skills expected of them within the unit
- Academic vocabulary (and other vocabulary important to the unit) can be noted in this template section. Consider bringing attention to key vocab by:
- color coding
- using bold/italic/underline font
- For larger units, or those that will extend over a longer period of time, consider documenting the content pieces in the order you will teach them. This provides a more detailed structure of instruction that isn’t necessarily present on the unit calendar.
Curriculum Basics: Content and Skills